Based in Saint Paul, MN, USA
3 October 2022 (Alpha release on itch.io and Google Play); TBA (Full release on all platforms)
|USD||$4.99 in Early Access (alpha)|
Upheaval is a text-based fantasy adventure sandbox where you master the secrets of a randomized world over many short playthroughs. Explore the wilds around a single village as you track down treasure, aid or disrupt factions, and match wits with the Magician. Discover thousands of possible endings! Change is coming, and time is not on your side. Will you be ready this time?
Alex Leone started prototyping Upheaval in 2018, trying build a game that explored the consequences of both success and failure. After three years and four prototypes, Upheaval was born! Alex began development on Upheaval in earnest in January 2021.
- Incredibly replayable! Each adventure takes 30-90 minutes to complete. Play mutliple times to discover more about the world and explore over 5,000 unique endings, depending on your choices during the game.
- Immersive feel! Beautiful background graphics and atmospheric ambient sounds immerse you in the world as you explore beautiful and treacherous landscapes.
- Mobile-friendly! Easy to play on your phone—Android is in Early Access, iOS is coming to Early Access soon! Take each adventure with you. Play for a few minutes or a few hours.
- Accessible! Blind and vision impaired players can use their favorite screen reader with the Windows Console version of Upheaval (available in Early Access on itch.io). Keyboard navigation is available for all versions of Upheaval.
- Every game is different! Pursue different goals or the same goal every time with the knowledge that the world is different every time you play. Old treasures will never be in the same place twice, factions will rise or fall in power differently from game to game, and the Magician's plans are never the same as they were the last time.
- Possible Tagline: Change is coming and time is not on your side!
Logo & Icon
- "[Upheaval] invites experimentation with decisions and consequences... it offers a novel way for players to craft fantasy stories over and over again."
- Ben Kendall, Family Gaming Database
- "I enjoy the simplicity of the game and how it enables an incredible amount of freedom."
- Ran Schvartz,
- "Upheaval has managed to capture the spirit and mysteriousness of the classic text-based genre of the 80s yet modernised it."
- He is Spartacus,
- "A mesmerizing fantasy realm ... Lose yourself in a rich tapestry of lore, unveiling its secrets at every turn... [Upheaval]'s concept is truly captivating, as the passage of time shapes your actions, influencing gameplay in concise yet highly replayable experiences."
- DannyDSC, Turn Based Lovers
For Windows and Android. Download at leonegaming.itch.io/upheaval#demo.
Read development updates on leonegaming.itch.io/upheaval/devlog.
About Alex Leone
Alex Leone is a father, software developer, and game developer. He started to make games when he was a kid, and, decades later, he hasn't stopped. He made his first text adventures on a Ti-84 calculator and then on an original iPod (yeah, the one with the scroll wheel).
More information on Alex Leone, our logo & relevant media are available here.